Our original design was based around a two sided head – human and wolf, that switches within a hood. We even looked at an internal mechanism that would spin the character’s face to his wolf form when his arms were lifted. We modelled this design but found the shape of the wolf’s snout was too restrictive when it had to be contained within a sphere so it could spin inside the hood.
So we went to the chippy for a break and to have some food, and doodled some more ideas. We really liked the wolf concept and the native American Indian feel to the character, but the mechanism didn’t feel right. Chips in tums we came up with a hood flipping concept, that would allow us to be true to the character but gave us a lot more flexibility and freedom when modelling the wolf head piece. We also liked how the wolf’s nose looked like a bell when it was upside down, and how the wolf’s ears doubled as hat ear flaps.
The finished Z-Brush Model and our character paint-over artwork.
We were really impressed with the quality of the print, and intrigued with the pink tinge the new material had! (this got paler and turned white over night) We were chuffed with how well our character came out, and the little scaffolding we had was easy enough to take off using some wood carving tools. Some sanding was required on the inside of the wolf hood as the material was not as flexible as we were expecting, it was rock hard – Which was great as we didn’t feel as worried about breaking parts this year! Some of the most obvious ‘ridges’ on the print were on the planes of the rocks on our character’s base – but we actually felt like this added to the texture of the piece as it looked like rock formations or rock pools.
All sanded and primed and ready to paint!
And here is our finished working model! The wolf face snapped on great, after a mild second of panic! Thank you again to all at Cartridge Save for putting on the 3D Print Cup Competition. Can’t wait for the wrap party!